Monday, April 18, 2011

Heaven

This season of life has brought about so many different emotions in the midst of Mom's cancer. I can't even begin to start to explain the different thoughts that fly through my mind at each moment of the day. Yesterday was different, though. I was struck, convicted, and almost embarrassed at the small amount of thought that goes into what Jesus did for me. For all of us. We have this incredible redemption because of the Crucifixion and have an eternal promise of heaven, and yet, how often do we completely overlook that promise?

One of Laura Story's new songs reminds of "every promise kept," but I'm not sure what promises I cling to daily. I think that I falsely consider that Jesus promised we would always be healthy. Always be happy. Always feel loved. Always have what we want. I forget that in this fallen world, I am promised heaven. Redemption. Mercies new each day. Sins forgiven. Unconditional love. A Father. Jesus. To never be abandoned.

I was struck yesterday with gratitude for me and for Mom and for my family and for my friends and for every single person... Struck with the promise that redemption is ours. That we will not be let go. And that we are promised heaven. I want my mind to be so intrigued by that truth that my mind would consistently be drawn to that promise. In the midst of the sadness and grief, I would be grateful for what lies ahead - no sin, no sickness, no sadness. I want to go.