Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Whatever Befall"

When you stop and think about it, the things we look over and miss are probably pretty profound. I find myself being really nostalgic about small trinkets, thinking about how much they mean to me. I am emotional with many photographs all over my room, remembering how deeply I care about the people in the pictures. I have lately been impacted more than usual by many songs, hymns, and verses; even small lines contain huge thoughts.

My favorite hymn of all time is "Be Thou My Vision." I have sung it probably over 100 times but have never considered the line that says "whatever befall, still be my vision." I was struck last Tuesday with that thought - that I would be, in prayer, willing to accept "whatever befalls." I'm not sure I am ready to say that. If I have said it for years dealing with heartbreak, I don't know that I am ready to continue to ask for that faith.

But, I will continue to hope. To ask for faith. To remember these blessings in disguise. To be hopeful in mercies new each morning. To be encouraged by dear friends... I am not sure that I knew what it meant to "weep with those who weep" until now. The people in my life willing to enter into my suffering have impacted me more than they will ever, ever, ever, ever know. I desire to be that kind of friend, and I am learning a lot from them.

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Staci, Erin, Campbell, Christi, Abby (Hassell and Cahill), Jamie, Bridgette, Katherine, Aubrie, Emily, and Jessica. Your witness makes me want to be a better person. Thank you for sacrificing your life and your self for me.



I leave for Mexico City in 24 hours. That beauty in the picture above is one of my greatest friends in the whole world and will be my tour guide for the next week. She is a teacher in Mexico City with the week off, and I am in desperate need of a little change/vacation.

I was worried about leaving - I can't lie. I have plans to be in constant contact with my family and to come home if I need to, but I just need to share about how grateful I am for my mother's heart. She has completely encouraged my trip, never once making me doubt, feel guilty, or be concerned about leaving. I simply envy the way that she cares for other people; I want to be like that.

This trip is for you, Mom - to enjoy life the way you enjoy life. To remember to seize each day and to value relationships above all else. Mexico, here I come!!!

2 comments:

Mlnordyke said...

Love you girl! THomas and I have been praying for you and your family! We love yall so much and am grateful to have the Beasley's in our life. Have fun!!!

aubrie :) said...

so glad you are going! love you friend