Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Remembering Mom #2


I really love this picture. My good friend, Jessica, took some photos for me a few years ago, and Mom IMMEDIATELY wanted one to frame. It's probably the only "solo" picture of me that Mom had framed since I was 5 years old.

When I look at pictures, though, I can't help but see if I can imagine myself without hair. This might be a weird thought to you, but it was the topic of conversation many times in the Beasley home...

Mom lost her hair over and over again during her long battle with cancer. She never seemed to care and really never wore a wig because she felt like it was uncomfortable. I loved the confidence that she had, even without hair. And, I love the way that Dad always adored Mom - hair or no hair.

My sister Candace and I were sitting around, talking with Mom about a year ago, and she said, "Camille, I so hope you never lose your hair. You're going to look just horrible." She went on to explain that the shape of my head has always been too square and that, if I were to lose my hair, I'd look really odd.

I love Mom's humor. I love that Mom's humor didn't end - not when she was at the end of her life, not when she was talking about serious, sad topics. I think that I got a lot of my Mom's humor, and I'm so glad that I did!!!

No comments: