Thursday, September 18, 2008

what to wear...

I get this question a lot from brides. I usually don't get it from brides trying to decide what to wear the day of the wedding; I get it more concerning the engagement shoot!! I understand this can be hard because everytime I have a photo shoot of myself I am just completely blown away by the decision, so let me offer a little insight. Who knows... it may help you pick out your wedding dress, too (minus the part about the colors). :)

1. Pick something that is flattering. Anything too tight or too big is never flattering on anyone. This should be obvious. If you have bigger thighs, maybe consider wearing a skirt or something that might hide that. Never go for a huge bottom, though, because that's just going to make you look bigger, in my opinion. If your mid-section is your problem, maybe wear more of an a-line, non-clingy shirt. Don't make yourself look pregnant, though, if you're not!

2. Go for colors that accent your skin tone and do not clash with other people's clothing for the shoot. I am NOT a fan of matching at all and would much rather people wear colors they usually wear. I also do not feel like black is a bad color. If you usually wear black, then do it. Wear black. If you wear blue a lot, then do it. Wear blue.

3. Don't dress-up or dress-down more than you usually do. If you wear jeans a lot, then wear jeans. Don't feel like you have to dress up; I always love it when couples look and act like the people they are. Don't try to be someone that you're not. Also, don't dress differently than the other person in the photo. If your fiance is wearing shorts and a polo, don't wear a dress... it doesn't "match."

Let's say that hypothetically I was in a relationship... I might wear scrubs to my engagement shoot. Just kidding! :) I could assume that me and my hypothetical fiance would definitely wear jeans, probably some sort of fun shoe, and a cute shirt. I would definitely wear black or blue, because they are common in my wardrobe. As for him, I don't know because he doesn't exist.

4. You can always do more outfits. I have often seen engagement shoots done in 2 different sessions - one more casual, one more elegant. We can save certain areas for different outfits... For example, shoot inside and on the porch with casual clothing and shoot outside and at a neat building for the fun, more dressy photos.

I hope that helps... Just remember that these photos are meant to bring out your personality and the emotion between the two of you, not your clothing (see below):

wilsons-1123

P.S. You are NOT as bad in the front of the camera as you may think!!! And, I WILL make you laugh, so you don't feel like you are smiling and kissing for this weird, awkward, boring photographer!!!

No comments: